Masai Ujiri threw the team he built under the bus, declaring that they need a “culture change.” Hrmm… Here’s what I’d do:
- Let Kyle Lowry leave. I know! This is big! But the Raptors have already enjoyed peak Lowry. He is 31 years old, and “listed” at 6’0″. The Raps need cap room and 3-point shooters. Time to move on.
- Dump Jonas Valanciunas. It will probably cost a 1st round pick. Do it. You need the salary space.
- Ask Serge Ibaka if he is willing to play full-time at center. If so, pay what it takes to retain him. He shoots 3s and blocks shots.
- P.J. Tucker is a quality bench player. Try to retain him.
- More 3-and-D wings please. The Raptors need to scare people from the 3-point line. Let DeRozan penetrate and create chaos, and give him shooters as an outlet valve.
Here’s what I’m saying: Lowry and Valanciunas are the past. Raps need to move into the future, or consign themselves to second round exits.