My quick take on Summer League:
- Lakers – Larry Nance II is a bust. Sorry about that.
- Lakers – Russell may grow up and be great. Not next year. Sorry about that.
- Lakers – Randle has outstanding footwork. One of 5 guys in the league with post moves. But… he can’t jump. If he doesn’t figure out how to create space, he’ll be a star in China 3 years from now.
- Wolves – Townes will eventually be everything we hoped. Not next year. Sorry about that.
- Knicks – Porzingis will be the next Dirk. I said it! His feel for the offensive game is uncoachable. But… he is an old-school one-way player in a league that has (maybe?) left that behind. Will be fun to see him develop. Next year, analytics will show he gave up seven million points.
Everyone else… yawn. Summer league is awful basketball. And really, what do you learn? Marco Belinelli and Anthony Randolph looked like can’t miss prospects. Summer League is fool’s gold.